Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Get Poached

This morning I awoke to my internet connection battling me for my sanity.  While I sat and rebooted my modem and router a gajillion times I sipped my coffee.  When it finally stayed online I made breakfast...

IMG_9328

This is becoming a habit.  Organic non-fat vanilla yogurt with blueberries and Kashi Go Lean. 

IMG_9330

I am actually hoping for farm fresh strawberries at the market this weekend. I passed them up last time and have been kicking myself for it.

Hoping to get to the grocery store before lunch I tried to hold myself over with a small snack...1/2 Royal Gala apple.

IMG_9332

Not surprisingly this didn't cut it, so I ended up swapping my lunch and dinner plans and made a chicken salad sammich.

IMG_9336

Diced chicken breast, raisins, pumpkin seeds, dill, and olive oil mayo.

IMG_9337

A few fresh Thai basil leaves for sammich pizzazz!

IMG_9340

Smooooshed between a toasted sammich thin and served with garlic stuffed olives and more deeeeeeelish cherry tomatoes.

After another hour of work I made time for a trip to the grocery store, complete with iced coffee.  I went armed with a meal plan, a shopping list, and a budget.  My fridge is very happy right now. 

While I finished work for the day I snacked on marble cheeeeese & RainCoast Crisp crackers...

IMG_9342

Knowing I was heading to a 7pm movie I had really thought ahead about how to avoid the mezmorizing pull to the popcorn counter.  My plan:  BIGASS SALAD!

I figured if dinner was fresh and full in my belly then I wouldn't want to snack my way through the movie.  It worked.  The popcorn smelled fan-freaking-tastic but we walked on by!!

The salad that saved the day...

IMG_9350In the big silver bowl:  baby spinach, cucumber, carrots, radishes, yellow peppers and cherry tomatoes

Tossed with olive oil and coarse salt...and topped with a poached egg.

IMG_9370

Even though you've read this on a thousand other blogs...here it is anyway.

How to Poach an Egg

  • Fill a shallow saucepan about 1/3 full of water.  Set it to boil.

IMG_9349

  • When boiling, add a drizzle of vinegar.  White is best so it won't discolour your egg.  I had White Wine Vinegar on hand.

IMG_9356

  • Crack your egg into a side dish (to ensure it's good, but also for ease of poaching).

IMG_9360

  • Reduce water heat to med-high so the water is still boiling but not rumbling.  Lightly swirl the water with a spoon, and carefully pour the egg into the center of the whirlpool.

IMG_9363

  • That's it.  Let cook approx 3 minutes for soft, 4 minutes for medium, or longer for well done.
  • Scoop your cooked egg out with a slotted spoon.  Let rest on a paper towel to absorb excess water.

IMG_9367

  • Serve!

IMG_9374

  • Devour.  Nom nom nom.

I may be the last adult female on the planet to finally see Eclipse.  Well no, because Tiffaney was with me...so there are two of us.  Jacob stole the show yet again!  The one liners are so bad they are classic. 

Back at home and proud of the "no popcorn" event I rewarded myself with dessert.  Counterproductive?  No way.  Normally I would have had both!!

IMG_9375

Besides, now this tub of ice cream is empty and no longer hanging around taunting me from the freezer.  :)

Pin It

4 comments:

Shirls said...

I haven't seen eclipse, actually just watched the 2nd twilight on the movie channel last week..LOL now I understand why Team Jacob, never understood Team Edward, but Jacob? well that boy has a 'look' as long as you don't look at his face and realize he is really just a boy that is ;0)

I love the PC ice cream containers, their rebranding of PC products I think look fab.

Last weekend hubby and I hit up a movie and thankfully we had a normal but filling lunch right before getting to the theatre, saved me from that popcorn too!

Heather said...

I actually don't get the Twillight insanity.

I watched the 1st one after it had been out on dvd a while last year and re-watched it and New moon on the Movie Network a couple of weeks ago. Meh, they just don't pull me in and they drag out the emotional turmoil scenes wayyy to much. lol

Anyway, enough of that. I have never poached an egg before, may have to give it a try :)

Laura said...

I had no idea you could poach an egg like that, I use a little container that goes into the microwave. I'm lazy!

Alison Fay said...

Just catching up on blog reading now, and I have to say, that egg looks kinda fantastic. I've only attempted it twice, and they were a bloody mess! Time to try again, I suppose.