Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Chicken and White Bean Salad

Weeeeeha!  I finally got my desktop computer out of it's box and set up on my shiny new desk.  Today I get to work in comfort with a real keyboard and my lovely large 22" monitor.

 IMG_8474

And now have a beautifully cleared and polished dining room table that will no longer function as my office.  It's like a grown up lives here!

IMG_8477

Close up of the thoughtful and cute housewarming giftie from my friend Ingmarie.  She's so creative when it comes to this stuff!

IMG_8323 IMG_8324 IMG_8325 IMG_8326

I should probably chill that wine, but it's so cute in it's little basket. :)

Anywho...back to yesterday...

Coffeeeeee....

IMG_8447

Starbies Denver mug courtesy of my coworker Michelle who was living there for a few months.

Breakie....

IMG_8444

Shocker.  More Squirrelly toast with PB and Supercrack.  Anyone know where to buy Crofters Supercrack Spread in Victoria? I need to restock on the other flavours.

IMG_8445

My Mom brought me these tasty little LaCalera oranges...they've been hanging out in my fruit bowl and I almost forgot about them.  Kinda like a clementine or mandarin but firmer.

Lunchie...

IMG_8450

Pickles wrapped in turkey, wheat crackers, grapes, and Wensleydale cheese...

IMG_8451

I didn't know it could happen...but I think I met a cheese I don't really like.  Firmness and texture is lovely but taste is kinda bland and pasty.  Too bad!  I very much enjoyed the Wensleydale with blueberries that Miss Marie served me...must need the fruit!

IMG_8449

It was good if I paired it with the grapes.  I'll eat it up but it won't make my shopping basket in the future.

After lunch I took another trip to my new massage therapist.  We have now assessed that we think all of my glute/leg pain may actually be stemming from either my hip or my pelvis so I'm going to see a chiropractor today.  The massage is totally helping but if it's actually an alignment issue one or two treatments may cure the problem.  Let's hope!

Afternoon snackie...

IMG_8454

I can't wait to have time and ingredients to bake some of my own healthy snacks...but Kashi is a good holdover. :)

Deeeelish Dinner...

Another yummy recipe from Eating Well magazine.  You may likely see quite a number of recipes pop up here because I flagged a bunch to try!  Chicken and White Bean Salad...

IMG_8472

So fresh and fiberific!  This salad was really all about the dressing for me.  They refer to it as their All Purpose Vinaigrette which I'm not sure I would agree with as it wouldn't suit all dishes, but the zing from the orange juice and garlic went incredibly well with the chicken and white beans.

Vinaigrette: (I halved this)

  • 1 medium clove garlic
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 6 tablespoons fresh orange juice, plus more to taste (I used Tropicana)
  • 1/4 cup white-wine vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard

Peel the garlic and smash with the side of a chef’s knife (I just grated mine using my microplane). Using a fork, mash the garlic with salt in a small bowl to form a coarse paste. Whisk in oil. Add orange juice, vinegar and mustard; whisk until well blended. Taste and whisk in up to 4 tablespoons more juice to mellow the flavour; season with more salt, if desired. Set aside at room temperature.

It is pretty tart straight up out of the bowl, but I added a little extra OJ to smooth it out...then once mixed with the salad it was just right!  Especially with the fresh basil in the actual salad.

IMG_8457

For the salad itself I followed the magazine recipe pretty much to the letter.  I used white kidney beans, goat feta in place of the haloumi and romaine instead of escarole...and only made a half batch.  It's a bit of work getting everything all chopped up, but once you do it's easy from there.  :)

IMG_8458 IMG_8459 IMG_8460 IMG_8461 IMG_8462

I let the chicken, veggies, beans and cheese marinate in the dressing for about 30 minutes in the fridge...then mixed up the romaine and radicchio when I was ready to eat.

IMG_8470 IMG_8471

I love that the chicken makes it feel hearty, but the veggies and zingy dressing keep it fresh and crunchy.  The beans are a healthy added protein...and the cheese is just plain tasty.  :)  This salad would lend itself well to lots of modifications...I can see shredded carrots or beets!  Whatever you like really.  Let me know if you give it a whirl.

I'm betting my bowl of leftovers will be even better with 24 hours of marinating in the vinaigrette. mmmmmmmm.

After that tasty meal I got to work on setting up my computer...snacked on some Goldfish crackers...drank a lot of water (massage day must do!)...then called it a fairly early evening.

I satisfied my sweet tooth with these fun organic gummy worms I found hiding out in my road trip snack bag (which I finally just unpacked!).  Tasted like real juice!  But still felt like a sneaky treat!  :)

IMG_8479 IMG_8480

nom. nom. nom.

Pin It

4 comments:

Laura said...

Oh yeah, your apartment looks all grown up now.

I feel so lazy when I find out you even make your own dressing.

Fran said...

The salad looks really good! Like the combination!

Becca said...

Love your computer desk, I need a new one badly.

Anonymous said...

The salad looks amazing! I definately want to try it.