Thursday, April 29, 2010

Coconut Everything

Whoa!  Time flies when you are sitting at your computer going cross-eyed trying to make a list of condos to view!  I’m not sure if I’m excited or overwhelmed.  Both I think.  :)  I just sent my list off to my real estate agent so he can set up viewing for Monday.  Yes, MONDAYThis is really happening!!  I have 12 “favourites” and 13 “possibilities”.  Somewhere in there is my future home!!!

<<rewind>>

Mid-afternoon I started to get munchies so I grabbed a big handful of grapes so I wouldn’t head for the candy cupboard. 

IMG_5343

I did polish off the last handful of sesame sticks, but it was literally only a handful so it’s fine.

For dinner I made something I’ve never made before! Eggplant!!

IMG_5348

I actually bought this little fella like two weeks ago, but things were so hectic with Arron ending up at home for that extra week that I just never had the opportunity to cook it up. 

I have had both good and bad experiences with eggplant.  It’s definitely one of those veggies that is all about texture and complimentary flavours.  The best I’ve ever had it was actually in a Thai red curry (but that was a Japanese eggplant which is a bit different in texture, etc).  Anyway, I decided to stick with a recipe I’m familiar with and made it into Coconut Crusted Eggplant!

IMG_5368

I just used my Coconut Shrimp recipe, but subbed in breadcrumbs for 1/2 of the flour (and actually used whole wheat flour). 

A trick I learned about eggplant (from Take Home Hottie Chef) is to sprinkle the sliced eggplant with salt and let it rest for a bit…it brings out the moisture and helps cut the bitterness.

Then just cooked them up in the yummy, yummy Tropical Traditions coconut oil until golden and crisp.

IMG_5364

Served with steamed buttery spinach (the only veggie in the house!!) and baked sweet potato chips.

IMG_5369 IMG_5370IMG_5372

I’m still not the biggest eggplant fan, but this worked out quite well.  I found it a tiny bit bitter still, but a quick drizzle of honey solved that problem easily.  :)  If you are an eggplant fan, give this a go.  Apparently cooking with coconut really makes most anything tasty.  haha.

IMG_5375

After dinner I did get into some chocolate treats that escaped the camera…but I shut that down by heading upstairs for a long hot steamy shower and brushing my teeth.  I am pretty much in love with super hot showers right now.  *bliss*

OK, must run.  Tomorrow is going to be a busy day!!

Pin It

7 comments:

Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty said...

Sounds like an interesting meal!! I'm not a fan of eggplant at all... never enjoyed it at all... icky..

But this sounds interesting!! :)

Anonymous said...

Are you secretly in love with Curtis Stone, too? *drool* Shhhhh! Don't tell my husband! *giggles*

Ah, I can hear him saying "cuts the bittahness" in his Aussie accent...*sigh*

*ahem* I've tried eggplant a few times, but not had much luck with it. Never tried coconut eggplant, though. I would like to try stuffed eggplant sometime, and see if I like that.

Becca said...

The pictures look great, and I'm certain this smelled wonderful. However, I'm just not a fan of eggplant. I want to be.. it's so pretty looking... but it's too bitter, I've also tried the salt trick and still found it icky after that.

JavaChick said...

When we go for Thai, I usually get green curry which comes with green thai eggplant in it. They're completely different - look sort of like little green tomatoes. I would love to try cooking those at home but it's not something you tend to see at the grocery store!

Thanks for the happy birthday message. :)

Unknown said...

I wish I liked eggplant....

See you Sunday!!

Unknown said...

I LOVE eggplant, that looks fantastic!!

bed frame said...

This is a very interesting meal! I probably will like this.