Monday, February 01, 2010

Sunday Dinner

I always say I’m going to attempt to implement Sunday dinners around here, but inevitably something happens.  We end up with other leftovers, or make plans to go out, or opt to fend for ourselves…something!  Well, this weekend I finally planned ahead and got it done!

Pork Loin Roast

Just a little 2 pounder (barely).  Prepared simply by piercing slits into the roast which I stuffed with slices of fresh garlic and sprigs of fresh rosemary

153 154

Also smeared with a bit of herby butter: 1 tsp butter, salt, pepper, and finely chopped rosemary.

159

Let stand about one hour, then roast in a 375 degree oven for 45 minutes.  Cover loosely with foil and let rest for 10-15 minutes before slicing.

193

Alongside we served roasted white potatoes.  Clean and cut into chunks, boil for about 10 minutes, then drain and let cool.

162

Toss with a big drizzle of olive oil, lots of salt, pepper, ground thyme and more rosemary sprigs (I would also have added a bit of garlic powder but we are out).  Bake alongside the roast for about 30 minutes, until crisp.  (I let them continue baking while the roast rested…so about 40 minutes in total.)

185 189

All together with steamed broccoli

195

Success! 

For dessert we had cupcakes!  Surprise!  :)

202143

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In addition to this meal I attempted to make Broccoli Cheese Soup (healthy style!).  I have beautiful pictures and it was absolutely perfect…right up until I added the cheese.  It curdled.  What the hell?  It’s still edible but nowhere near as lovely as it was just 2 minutes earlier.

Anyone know the trick to adding the cheese without it separating in the soup?

Pin It

7 comments:

Cole Walter Mellon said...

What a great tradition; I'm just happy when my kids use a plate to eat dinner...

Unknown said...

Now I want pork....and I don't even eat port (except for bacon) Now that I have a grown up home, it's time for me to start making grown up meals I think...

(COME VISIT ME)

Nicole said...

I'm with Jack...but add on to mine I'm glad they take a fork with them 90% of the time *laughs*

Supper looked Yummy!!

Jaime said...

Admittedly, it is a whole lot easier to do Sunday dinner when there are no little monsters to contend with.

Cat, don't you worry...I'm coming!!!

OldGoogleAccount said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
OldGoogleAccount said...

Sorry for the post deletion but I realized what I had written might not make sense. oops!

I'll try again. About your soup:

Mild or medium cheddar or light old shouldn't separate when you add it. Don't use full fat old. If you want full fat, you have to go with a creamier cheese.

Alison Fay said...

I was going to say the same thing, Tamara! Old Cheese isn't the best choice, it's not very melty.

Roast looks great. This post made me think that I don't eat enough broccoli. I have a big bag in the deep freeze for cream of broccoli soup I should dig out!

Thanks (again) for the inspiration!