Monday, December 28, 2009

Nana’s Cabbage & Apple Salad

When we started prepping Christmas dinner I had visions of doing a photo-recipe tutorial for the blog…but alas my Mom was way ahead of me in the cooking process so my brilliant idea never even got off the ground!

I did however remember to snap a few shots when I was making my Nana’s special Christmas salad because it’s not a common dish and something maybe you all haven’t ever seen.

IMG_7889

Honestly, it’s so simple I hesitate to even call this a recipe!  But it’s something my Grandma always brought to the family dinner and a tradition (although slightly bastardized) that my Mom and I have carried on.

Recipe:  Nana’s Cabbage & Apple Salad

Ingredients:

  • bag of coleslaw mix
  • 4 green onions
  • 2 crisp apples (we used Honeycrisp this year)
  • 1 cup Miracle Whip (we used light) (mayo works too, but add extra lemon in that case)
  • squeeze of lemon
  • salt & pepper
  • cranberry sauce for garnish

IMG_7886  IMG_7888

Directions:

  • Dice the green onions. 
  • Peel, core and dice the apples. 
  • Mix everything together, ensuring all cabbage is coated in dressing. 
  • Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours…but all day is better. 
  • Decorate top with cranberry sauce and serve.

IMG_7901

Of course, my Grandma never would have used a bag of coleslaw.  She painstakingly chopped a cabbage each and every year…and then when she got ill, my Grandpa did it.  But my Great Aunt gave us permission to use the bagged slaw so we only feel slightly guilty about our slacker approach.  :)  Besides, the bagged version has variety and color!

Pin It

2 comments:

Jessica @ Pudget: Losing Weight On A Budget said...

This sounds wonderful and healthy. I am going to try it very soon. Thanks for sharing!

Natalie said...

My mom makes almost the same coleslaw only without the cranberry sauce. I think I like the cranberry sauce addition though. Yum!