Sunday, June 28, 2009

Impromptu Hectic Saturday

Hi all!  Sorry for the lack of food post yesterday…my day totally got away from me! 

FH was working a duty shift (which means all day/all night) so I took the opportunity to just relax, run some errands, and had planned for a night in watching TV and doing my nails. 

Started the day off right with a MASSIVE Green Monster.  I jammed the blender so full of spinach that I couldn’t get it to whir it all around without stopping it to smash the greens down.  I think I was a little overzealous because I could definitely taste “a hint o spinach” this time.  Still yummy and it just felt healthy drinking it!

003

In the blender, the originals:  1/2 banana, 4 strawberries, 2 heaping tsp flax meal, 1 tbsp almond butter, 1/4 cup raw oats, 3/4 cup unsweetened vanilla Almond Breeze, and close to 4 cups of baby spinach.

002 

Knowing I was going to be at the mall for a while I packed a bag of cherries and a Larabar in my purse for when the hunger struck.  The GM actually last me for a solid 3 hours.

007

The only thing I had to tide me over during that time was a regular coffee at the mall.  (Yes, I’m adding a cup or two of coffee back into my routine here and there…I love it and it doesn’t seem to have any effect on my ulcer-type-situation.)

009

I stocked up on much needed new undies at La Senza, got some cute new summer jammies, and scored a $10 pair of the softest casual shorts ever at Sport Chek.  Then I left the mall and headed for Lululemon, where I tried on half the store…and then had to chose between five MUST HAVE items!  Like a good girl, I chose to leave with only the sports bra and the shorts I went in there for.  :)

Side note:  I bought the “lift & separate II” bramy boobs have never looked so good!! 

After Lulu I realized I was supposed to get my ring inspected and cleaned at Birks when I was at the mall, so I went back to get that done.  WOW!!!  Sparkly!!!  :)

Then I took myself to the gym.  Had a FANTASTIC incline jog on the treadmill…very slow pace for me, but I could feel my calves working and I was an incredibly sweaty mess at the end.  Finished off with some squats and lots of ab work.  My planks are getting better!

I hadn’t eaten enough for my intense workout so headed straight home to eat.  Two seconds in the door and I was into the fridge looking for something easy and gooey.  :) Settled on broiling some leftover ciabatta bread with fresh parmesan.  Deeeelish! 

018

This is where my day became impromptu…it was 6:45 and my friend called and said she was putting together a last minute girl’s night and wanted me to come.  Said she’d be by to pick me up at 7:45!!  Yikes, I was still standing here in my sweaty gym clothes!  In record time I showered, picked out an outfit, ironed my skirt, blow dried and flat ironed my hair and got my make-up on.  This is an amazing feat as my hair is thick and takes a LONG TIME to dry.  In the end it was cute…but a little puffy.  hehe.  Thankfully the ladies were about 10 minutes late so I was actually ready when they arrived!

021 023

First stop was Bitter End.  I remember this place being much better than it actually was.  Maybe it’s because I’ve only been there twice a couple of years ago, or maybe it was an off night.  The drinks were fine, but the food and service was only so-so.

I started with a Showbiz Martini (vodka, chambord, grapefruit juice)…followed by a Funkshion Seduction (vanilla & raspberry vodkas, lemon, champagne).  Both were fun, but neither were something I was OK paying $10 for.

034

The food was disappointing.  I ordered the House Salad because it sounded fresh and fun…not.so.much.  Basically a bowl of fancy lettuce with two cherry tomatoes and four teeny slices of apple…I didn’t find any of the pine nuts or onion crisps that were mentioned on the menu.  In addition to the salad I ordered the Date & Goats Cheese Crostini…again barely OK in my opinion.  It was dry and pretty tasteless.   I love goat cheese, but this made my mouth stick to itself and if there were dates in there I sure couldn’t tell.  The little dots of overcooked prosciutto on top didn’t do much for me either.  Overall it filled my hungry tummy but I left more than half of the ridiculous pile of greens and one whole chunk of the crostini because the hard bread was hurting my mouth.  It didn’t help that our waitress wasn’t too bright…she had to re-ask all of our orders when it came time for the bill. 

041 042

Thankfully my girlfriends were feeling the same way so it was suggested we wander up the street to Onyx to carry on our evening.  So much better!  Beautiful room with great ambiance and a FANTASTIC drink menu.  Creative and interesting martinis, but mainly two full pages of different varieties of mojitos.  So yum!!

046 048 049

I started with the Melting Coco Mojito…fabulous!  Came in a big glass with a fun big straw…tasted like a minty pina colada, only better!  I would definitely recommend it…especially with the love of coconut around the blogosphere.  :)  For my fourth and final drink of the evening I went for another martini…Twilight…which, let’s be honest, I ordered for the name!  :) 

052 056

We had a ton of fun chatting and harassing our bartender.  He claimed to be a fish out of water behind the bar (a server covering for a vacationing bartender) but if he hadn’t told us we never would have known.  Everything was super delish!

Finally, we opted to try dessert.  We’d seen a few go by, and since we all had a few drinks under our belts we just couldn’t resist.  I ordered the Baked Alaska because it’s not often I can have my dessert set on fire.  :)  It was pretty damn tasty, but I could only eat half of it…too full from my coconut mojito!

062

By then it was time to start heading for home…my quiet night turned into a late night.  By the time I got home, puttered on the internet, had a snack (helllooooo guacamole!), watched random TV and finally closed my eyes it was almost 3am! 

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Pin It

7 comments:

tash said...

The Bitter End is my fav martini bar - but i never eat there because the food is not the best. The Envy martini is to die for. I only go there on Sundays or Mondays when the martinis are cheap!

I love Onxy! It is also about 100 m from my apartment! The food and moiitos are delicious, and they have some great cheese.

Anonymous said...

You looked fantastic for getting ready soon fast! LOVE those shoes :)

Impromtu gatherings are always fun!

itsawrap said...

Girls night out sounds like a blast! First off, I bow to your shoes...so cute! I am a bit of a shoe addict :) And I'm a martini girl so all of those sound divine esp. that last one. Wish we had a martini bar here that good. Enjoy the rest of your Sunday..

Anonymous said...

Mmmm, the menu for Onyx looks sooo good!

Anonymous said...

LOVE the shoes! Are they comfy?

-Tarilyn

Angela Power said...

I've never been to either the Bitterend or Onyx. Too bad about the bad food :-( but glad Onyx redeemed your night! Fun girls night!

Fatinah said...

I'm going to get one of those Lullulemon tops to wear for Belly Dance class!! Good find!!