Friday, September 26, 2008

Ribs

Most of my neck/shoulder/upper back issues are actually caused by a rib or two that wind up out of alignment. Most people don't realize that you have ribs there, but you do! Mine cause me different sorts of pain...this manifestation is the worst for me because it's tied to the muscles somehow and just turning my head can create an agonizing spurt of pain. Tres annoying.

Having said that, as I finished up work last night I was starting to get into a funk, so rather than sit here feeling sorry for myself I sucked it up and put my workout gear on. I'd already plowed through that box of chocolate almonds (damn cheerleader!) and that didn't make me feel any better (although they were super yummy!). So I figured worst case scenario I could just walk on the treadmill for an hour, or best case do more. I had to go over there to the pharmacy anyway, so might as well not waste the drive.

And it was fine. I did 25 mins on the treadmill, random setting...even managed to include 10 mins of intervals...1 min jogging/1 min recovery. Then onto the elliptical for another 25 mins...using the cross-trainer setting with a medium resistance. I just had to be careful about turning my head to fast so as to not hurt my shoulder/rib/whatever. I was even able to do the majority of my strength training. I watched my weight and positioning, and changed up how I did my lunges. I have been carrying the 10 or 12 pound bar on my shoulders, so instead I carried a 5lb weight in each hand. I even managed to do two sets of jumping squats.

All good.

I will admit that I did this so late I was starving, so ended up with a cheeseburger for dinner...points wise it was fine...just not the healthiest choice. Oh well. I didn't snack at all once I got home, so that's a big deal for me.

Today I'm trying to go back to the chiro and DBF is going to set up the new office chair I bought. I'm hoping it's better than sitting on this ball. The ball is comfy but I can't get it to the right height for typing at my computer and I think that's part of the issue I'm having. No gym today...but maybe a walk later since DBF is home from work and the sun is out....

Menu plan off the cuff....

- coffeeeeeeeeeeeee
- fresh pineapple
- All Bran bar
- Greek salad, ww pita & tzatziki
- sesame rice crackers w/ light Laughing Cow
- apple or pear
- grilled chicken with salad
- some sort of evening treatie Pin It

6 comments:

ElleBee said...

Sorry to hear that you're having trouble but you did awesome IMO - most people would use that as an excuse not to go to the gym but look at you!!

Hope you have a great weekend!

Vanessa said...

Wow, you pretty much rock for going to the gym in spite of the ribs. Good job!

carla said...

hang in there.
we all have those food days and you are AMAZINGLY MOTIVATED for working out anyway (& given the pain).

Miz.

Marissa said...

Way to go on getting in the exercise even with your rib problem!! That's impressive!

Jen said...

I think you are a friggin rockstar for going to the gym despite all the pain!!!

Sometimes our dinners aren't always the BEST choice, but I think you did pretty good (by not having a snack...that would be a huge deal for me as well!!!)

eurydice said...

how can sitting on a ball be comfortable? don't you need back support?