Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Recipe - Mexican Crockpot Soup

Mexican Crockpot Soup
(aka Crockpot Tortilla Soup...but since there isn't any tortillas in it I thought that was weird!)

8 oz. raw, cubed chicken breast
2 cups frozen corn
1 small diced onion
2 tbsp minced garlic
4 cups chicken broth
10 oz. (approx) canned diced tomatoes, drained and pureed
10 oz. (approx) canned diced tomatoes, left chunky
1 tin Mexican green chilies (hot)
1 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 tblsp cumin
2 tblsp chili powder
1/4 tsp fresh black pepper
1 tsp dried oregano
chopped fresh cilantro


Combine everything except black beans and cilantro in crockpot/slow cooker. Cook on high for 5-6 hours. About 1 hour before ready to eat, add black beans. Taste and reseason if desired.

Stir in a sprinkle of fresh cilantro when serving (don't add to the whole pot, just add to individual servings). Also yummy, with a swirl of light sour cream as a garnish.

You could also add some cooked rice when serving it to help bulk it up.

WW = 1 point per cup (not counting sour cream or rice) Pin It

4 comments:

Jen said...

Ohmigod I love you...seriously!! I was just looking for a new soup recipe and that sounds FABULOUS!!! Making it this weekend now!!

Jaime said...

Totally better on day two! It thickened up a bit overnight in the fridge. :)

Julie said...

This sounds like a great recipe. I'm so glad you posted it... because I said I am not a chef but this sounds easy!!
I can't wait to try it!

Jaime said...

I have to say that I did steal it from someone...either on the GDT or another blog. I'm sorry I don't remember who it was. But the black beans were my idea!!