Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Recipe: Whooooopie Pies

I buy or receive several magazines every month.  They tend to stack up, but I do at least skim through all of the recipes.  If the pile of a certain magazine grows past 12 issues, then I pull the oldest ones, flip through and tear out any recipes I think I might like to try.  I found this Rachael Ray recipe in that collection of torn pages.

Pumpkin Whoopie Pies

“a classic cream-filled cake gets a pumpkin twist”

IMG_3258

Ingredients:

  • 1 1/2 sticks (6 oz) unsalted butter: 1 stick melted, the other 1/2 stick softened
  • 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 cup canned pure pumpkin puree
  • 1 tbsp pumpkin pie spice
  • 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 3/4 tsp + 2 pinches salt
  • 1 2/3 cups flour
  • 4 oz cream cheese, softened (I used light)
  • 1 cup confectioner’s sugar

008 012

Directions:

  1. Pre-heat oven to 350.  Line two baking sheets with parchment paper (I used spray).
  2. In a large bowl whisk together melted butter and brown sugar until smooth.  Whisk in the eggs, pumpkin puree, 1 tsp vanilla, pumpkin pie spice, 3/4 tsp salt, baking soda and baking powder.  Using a spatula fold in the flour.
  3. Drop 12 generous mounds evenly onto each baking sheet.  Bake for 10 minutes or until springy to the touch.
  4. Meanwhile, using an electric mixer, cream together the softened butter and cream cheese until soft. Add 1/2 tsp vanilla, 2 pinches salt and confectioner’s sugar and continue mixing until blended and lightly fluffy.
  5. When cakes are cooled, spread the flat side of 12 cakes generously with the cream.  Top with another cake to create a sandwich.  Enjoy!
  6. Keep refrigerated so the cream maintains it’s thick consistency.

IMG_3259 IMG_3260

Pin It

5 comments:

Dani @ PFL said...

Those look yummy!

Amber said...

Umm, those look ridiculously good! I think I will have to make those SOON!

Unknown said...

They look so good. Maybe too good, they would definately be a "make and take" desert for me.
Make em' and take em' out of the house, maybe to share with co-workers or neighbors.

Roxy said...

Yummy, they look wonderful

Angela Power said...

I wish I were a pumpkin fan, those look yummy! Is it a coincidence that a lady at the Bar Library made those and had them there today too? Did RR make them recently?