Saturday, July 04, 2009

Guest Post: Oatmeal PB Energy Bars

-Aaron @ CrossBorderCravings

I just came across your blog a couple weeks ago and I really enjoy reading it!  I saw the mention of the Guest Post opportunity so I thought I would send in a quick recipe!  I was racking my brain for a “baked good” to send you, but I don’t find myself baking all that often.  I live alone so whenever I bake something I end up eating it all to myself, which isn’t something I like to do all the time! lol. 

So, I decided to send in an energy bar recipe that I am in love with!  The nice thing about these bars is that I wrap them up individually and freeze them so they last a long time.  I usually eat them up pretty quickly though! 

This recipe is from the Food Network (sorry its not an original of mine)…


Oatmeal Peanut Butter Energy Bars


Ingredients:
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup natural peanut butter
2 tbsp maple syrup
1 tbsp canola oil
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups rolled oats
2 cups rice cereal
1/4 cup wheat germ
1/2 cup chopped peanuts
1/2 cup chopped dried apricots
1/2 cup chopped dried figs
1/2 tsp salt


Directions:
Spray 9 x 13 inch baking dish with cooking spray.  Set aside.
In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine honey, peanut butter, maple syrup, canola oil, brown sugar, and cinnamon.  Stir and cook until mixture just begins to bubble, about 3 to 5 minutes.  Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
In a large bowl, combine oats, rice cereal, wheat germ, peanuts, apricots, figs, and salt.
Pour peanut butter mixture over oatmeal mixture and mix until well combined.  Transfer to baking dish and press firmly into dish.  Place in refrigerator to cool completely.  Cut into squares or bars.  Wrap individually and store in freezer :)

Makes 14 bars @ 240 calories per bar.

Hope you enjoy the recipe!

Aaron

Pin It

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ohhhh these sound yummy!