Thursday, February 19, 2009

Product Review - Mr. Krispers Baked Rice Krisps

It occurs to me that I've been really slacking on my food product reviews. I have actually tried a lot of fun new stuff over the last couple of months, but have failed miserably in reporting about any of it to all of you. I will try to be better!

My current find is Mr. Krispers Baked Rice Krisps. I picked them up last week at Planet Organic mostly because I was lured in by the giant sale display near the store entrance. Any reasonable substitute for a greasy potato chip generally catches my interest and since these come in a number of chip-type flavors I thought I'd give them a go. To start, I opted for the simple Salt & Black Pepper flavor. I figure if I like them, I'll try one of the other more exciting flavors next time.

As the name implies, these are baked crackers made from rice...they go out of their way to mention brown rice specifically but if you read the ingredients there's a combo of white rice and a bit of corn in there too. All healthy ingredients though. They are thin, crispy and light. For 90 calories you can have 25 of these little treats and since they are about the size of a twoonie it's a reasonable portion. Even though they are light, they are sturdy enough to hold up to a swish through some hummus and the s&p flavor is nice and strong enough to still taste even with the garlicy dip.

I'd certainly pick them up again as a snack to keep in the cupboard for one of those days where I'm craving something crunchy. More like a cracker than a chip, but isn't that true of most healthier crunchy options? I think I'd like to try the Sour Cream & Onion flavor for a more chip-like experience.

The only thing I really didn't love was the price...$3 per bag on sale...for approx 100 gram bag. Pin It

2 comments:

Cat said...

mmmm! I'll have to look out for these!

eurydice said...

i love chip substitutes but i would eat way more than 25 at a time - that is the problem!