Saturday, February 21, 2009

Bulk Barn

We didn't have Bulk Barn out West. Most supermarkets have a large bulk section right in the store....some better than others, but most with a good selection. It was always a handy section when I worked as a cashier...I could buy just a handful of trail mix, or chocolates, or dried fruit on my meager budget for a work snack.

When we moved to Halifax it took me a couple of months to figure out why the supermarkets don't have bulk. I thought it was just another East Coast anomaly...sort of like how there are only two grocery chains to chose from. I don't do a ton of bulk shopping, but I did miss it.

Then I discovered Bulk Barn! I drove past one almost every day for like six months....then finally went in one time when I was looking for movie night snacks. What a selection! Baking supplies have never been so easy to come by. And reasonably priced. Everything I've ever picked up there has been a better price than most stores, and the best part is that if you only need 1/2 cup of something you don't have to buy a whole bag or package.

Last night I stopped in to get trail mix for my next oatmeal bar variation. I ended up buying a variety of things and will be able to mix and match til my heart's content. Pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, flax seeds, hemp seeds, nut pieces, sultana raisins,... I also found demerara sugar which I love in my coffee but hadn't found since I've lived here. Top that off with the ability to buy just 10 Easter malt balls and I was in heaven. If I'd bought a bag somewhere else temptation would have led me to eat the whole bag...but instead I planned for 10 and that's all I had.

They also have an interesting selection of organic products (not necessarily in bulk) like cereals, soups, sauces, etc. Plus lots of teas, imported candies, oddball snacks and other fun things. Not to mention the wall of baking pans for rent or purchase. Really a great, unique store. Can't believe we didn't have these out West. Pin It

6 comments:

Lex said...

The first 3 paragraphs have literally been words that have come out of my mouth before! I'd lived here for a few years before I actually stepped foot in bulk barn.
I remember Safeway etc having the bulk *section* but I never knew the amazingness that is the bulk barn until just recently!
love it!

ElleBee said...

Bulk Barn is awesome! :)

♥ Dee ♥ said...

:'( I wanna Bulk Barn, too.

eurydice said...

I am always surprised by the amount of organic stuff in bulk barn. When I was a teenager I used to shop there for candy before going to the movies.

A Toronto girl out West said...

I LOVE Bulk Barn! I'm originally from Toronto but I've lived in BC for some years now. And I miss it.

Especially now that I'm all into healthy eating and making home-made larabars and trail-mix.

The deals at Bulk Barn can't be beat by my local supermarket.

For the Record said...

Bulk Barns now open in Kelowna, Kamloops and Vernon BC ....