Monday, July 06, 2009

Guest Post: Portobello Mushroom Pizzas

-Angie @ Angie All The Way

Hey there Embracing Balance readers!  How fun is it that I get to "guest post" on one of my favourite blogger buddy's blogs while she is away?  I thought I would contribute by sharing with you all a recipe that uses one of my favourite "calorie fooling" ingredients of all time, the portobello mushroom!  I make burgers out of these things and love them, so one day I thought I'd make "pizzas" out of them!  Instead of a flour dough crust, the mushroom cap serves as a meaty base that definitely adds to the satisfaction factor.

This is a great way to keep your calories a bit lower while still feeling like you’ve had a “splurgey” meal!  This recipe can be modified to include whatever your li'l heart desires for toppings.  Just like regular pizzas, the possibilities are endless

portobello_pizza_03  

This time I used…

Ingredients:

2 Portobello mushroom caps
EVOO
small zucchini
red onion
spinach
feta stuffed jalapeno, sliced
Kiri goat cheese square
few tbsp of part skim ricotta
fresh basil or a few thawed frozen cubes
a few tbsp salsa
S&P

Directions:

Remove stems from bella caps and bake caps in the oven on a cookie sheet until tender (or grill on a grill pan).

Meanwhile, sauté the onions, zucchini and spinach in the EVOO until tender.

Mix the basil in with the ricotta and season with S&P.

Layer ricotta mixture on top of the tender bella caps, then salsa, then zucchini/onion/spinach mixture, jalapeno and broken pieces of the goat cheese square.

Return to the oven and bake until the cheese starts to melt.

portobello_pizza_02

And there ya have it bloggies: Portobello Mushroom Pizzas!  Enjoy!

portobello_pizza_01

-Angie

Pin It

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

These look delicious!! I took this yoga class that stressed upon seeking perfect health, so I have completely changed my diet. And all of these recipe look amazing. Can't wait to try them ALL!