Saturday, July 04, 2009

Guest Post: Barbecue Baked Tofu

FOR THE LOVE OF TOFU!

Hi Embracing Balance readers!  My name is Marisa and my blog is Trim The Fat.   I have been on the Weight Watchers program and have managed to lose 70 pounds over the last two years.  When I first began the program, I ate foods that may not have been the most nutritionally sound, but as long as I stayed within my points range for the day, I was able to lose weight.  As time has gone by, my tastes have changed.  I have begun to experiment more and more with different fruits, veggies and forms of protein such as beans, and more recently TOFU!  I can see your faces scrunching up right now!  But, be not afraid!  Tofu really can be a delicious form of protein to add into your diet.

What exactly IS tofu, you ask?  Tofu is made from soybean curd  that is pressed into blocks.  It is low in calories, high in protein, contains no cholesterol, is rich in calcium and a good source of vitamin A, B12, D, E, phosphorus and iron.  It doesn’t have any flavor to speak of, so it’s basically a blank slate.  You can make it taste anyway you like by flavoring it with whatever seasoning suits you.

One way I like to make tofu is to bake it.  It changes the texture to make it firmer and chewier which bodes well for sandwiches and wraps!  My favorite as of late is barbecue baked tofu.  It’s delicious and easy.  Here’s a step-by-step…

First, my favorite brand of tofu (and it’s lite , so it’s even lower in calories!)…

marisa_tofu_01     

Next, I squeeze the tofu block between paper towels to remove excess moisture, then place the block on it’s side for cutting…

marisa_tofu_02

Then, I cut the block into 4 even pieces …

marisa_tofu_03

I season the pieces with salt and pepper, then dip them into 2 tbsp. barbecue sauce and place them on a foil-lined cookie sheet sprayed with cooking spray…

marisa_tofu_04

Bake in a 400 degree oven for about 35-40 minutes …

marisa_tofu_05

Then, enjoy a delicious bbq baked tofu sammie for lunch…

marisa_tofu_06

Mmm, good stuff…

marisa_tofu_07

So, next time you see tofu in the grocery store, pick some up and give this a try!  You’ll be glad you did.  :)

Pin It

1 comment:

~Amie~ said...

Thanks for this! For some reason, I had never thought of tofu in sandwiches...now I have a new meal idea :)