Sunday, January 25, 2009

Organic Daybreak

While running errands last night I decided to stop by Costco since I have a gift card left from Christmas. I was hoping for maybe a new electric kettle or some living room lamps, but of course ended up wandering through the groceries and books for the most part. I was determined not to spend the GC on food, but ended up finding a couple of things I normally wouldn't pick up so decided that it was just the way it was going to be. :)

First thing I found was a huge-ass bag of cereal. Organic Daybreak by Nutritious Living. This particular product doesn't seem to be on their website, so I'll quote the bag for you....

"Delightful fusion of organic grains and honey.... High Fibre, Low Fat, Low Sodium.

Wake up and enjoy the wonderful taste of slightly sweetened organic grains. Our crunchy blend of honey-coated puffed whole grains, crispy rice, rolled oats and fibre sticks provides nourishment and a source of energy to help start your day."

Per 1 cup serving (40g)
- 130 calories
- 1.5g fat
- 0 cholesterol
- 80g sodium
- 31g carbs
- 7g fibre
- 10g sugar
- 3g protein

It is a 1kg bag for about $8, which is considerably better than the price of Kashi Crunch lately so I thought I'd give it a go. I'll be hard pressed to find anything I like better than Kashi Crunch but because of the price I haven't been buying it lately. I had a bowl of this when I got up late this morning...with 1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla Almond Breeze and it was very tasty. Light and fluffy but still a bit of crunch and a nice sweetness. Not sure about the holding power just yet, but so far so good. I'm looking forward to having it a few times during the week. Pin It

4 comments:

Angela Power said...

I had no idea that there even was such a thing as a Costco giftcard! Nice! I'm intrigued by your cereal too. How about the staying power, how'd it hold up?

eurydice said...

mmm that cereal has good stats!~

Unknown said...

cereal not available at costco anymore!! my family is going into withdrawal. anyone know how I can get a fix?

JellyBelly said...

I have tried Daybreak Cereal also, and I loved it. Also can't find it at Costco anymore. I am in Calgary and would like to know where I can find it.