Friday, October 03, 2008

Recipe - Rachel Ray Turkey Burgers

I got a Rachel Ray cookbook for Christmas a few years ago. I've tagged about 20 recipes I want to try, but this turkey burger recipe is the only one I've ever actually made. And it's a big hit around here. When in doubt, I always defer to this one. DBF actually requests it on occasion.

1 lb extra lean ground turkey (or chicken if that's your thing)
2-3 green onions, chopped
4 oz extra old white cheddar, crumbled (light cheddar does NOT work the same, however light Babybel did the trick)
eyeballed handful of grill seasoning (like Montreal Steak Spice)
2 tbsp horseradish
4 buns
grainy mustard
optional: mayo, tomato, lettuce, etc

Note: these have to be grilled on a Foreman or some such appliance (or in a frying pan) because if you cook them on a regular BBQ type grill, the cheese just drips through the grates and is lost.

Preheat grill.

Mix together (with your hands people!) the meat, onions, cheese, seasoning & horseradish. Divide into four even balls and form into patties.
Grill (3-4 minutes per side).

The original recipe recommends cranberry sauce and the grainy mustard. We use light mayo and the grainy mustard, and top ours with tomato slices (and lettuce if we have it).

The grainy mustard on the bun, mixed with the flavor of the cheese and the horseradish in the burger is fab. You really shouldn't leave out the grainy mustard!

That's it! So yummmm! Pin It

6 comments:

Jen said...

I am pretty sure I love you now (um, that's a lie though, I loved you before!)

Cat said...

I have a bunch of homemade turkey bugers in my freezer at all times so that I can grab them anytime. They're totally yummy!

ElleBee said...

Ohh sounds great, am printing off this recipe! Thanks for sharing :)

Karen said...

I LOVE these...and I LOVE Rachel Ray. I'd say out of 7 nights, I make one of her recipes at least 4, maybe 5. Good, and usually good for you, as Rachel would say :)

Shirls said...

sweet thanks for the recipe!

eurydice said...

i hate touching meat but this recipe sounds delicious. i will try it out. what is grainy mustard? easy to spot in the store?