Monday, May 05, 2008

Recipe - Balsamic Chicken w/ Mushrooms

This was one of the first WW recipes I ever made and it's super yummy. (Unfortunately it led me to believe that all WW recipes were going to be good, but alas NOT SO MUCH. haha.) It's quick, easy and versatile.

Makes 4 servings, 3 points per serving

4 x 4 oz boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 cups white mushrooms, cut in halves or quarters
1/3 cup chicken broth (water will do if you don't have broth...or white wine for that matter!)
3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 tsp dijon mustard (I like a little extra squirt)
1 large garlic clove, minced (or if you are like me, 3 cloves)
1/4 tsp dried thyme (don't like thyme, try Italian Seasoning)
2 tsp oil (vegetable or olive...whatever you have on hand)
salt & pepper

In a dish big enough for all of the chicken pieces, mix 2 tbsp of vinegar with the mustard & garlic. Add chicken and flip to thoroughly coat.

While that sits for a few minutes, heat up 1 tsp oil in a non-stick frying pan at medium-high heat. When warmed, add chicken & marinade. Cook, about 3-4 minutes on each side. If it starts to scortch, turn heat down a bit and add a splash of water. Transfer chicken to a plate and tent with foil to keep warm.

Heat remaining tsp of oil in same pan. Add mushrooms and sautee for about 1 minute. Add broth, thyme, remaining tbsp of vinegar and s&p to taste. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms are deep brown...about 2 minutes.

Add chicken back to pan to heat through. Serve!


The WW notes say you can add chopped sundried tomatoes to the mushrooms for a different spin. I've never tried that, but I have bulked it up with onions...and peppers would be good if you like them (I don't!). I always serve with some sort of veggies that kind of end up sitting in the juices. Rice or spuds are good too. Enjoy! Pin It

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That sounds delicious. I will definitely have to try it.

Christina said...

great recipe and it's low in points and core NICE!

Julie said...

I agree not all WW recipes are great. So I can't wait to try this one. It sounds Yummers!