Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Smoothie Week – Day Three

A few of you lovely readers left me a couple of ideas, but I still need MORE!  I’ll be sure to try out something to do with coffee because that seems to be a HOT idea out there.  I need to get my hands on some whey protein first though, so the smoothie can still serve as a meal.  (I’m just not in love with having to buy one of those hugeass tubs of it…can you buy whey protein…or some other kind of protein…in a smaller container?)

Today I decided to go with a recipe from the book that inspired the whole concept of Smoothie Week.  This is my Rebar cookbookRebar is a fantastic vegetarian restaurant back home in Victoria.  I only ate there a couple of times, but it is extremely well known and I’ve never heard a bad word about it.  They also have a bakery, Cascadia, that makes fabulous baked goods.

IMG_0945

I have been thinking about something tropical because I had a container of fresh frozen pineapple in the freezer that I wanted to use up.  Hence…Double Happiness! 

In the blender:

IMG_0944 IMG_0946

(I don’t have plain soy milk, so I used unsweetened vanilla Almond Breeze.)

IMG_0948 IMG_0950

Today’s smoothie boasts a much more palatable color…pink!  It is tasty and refreshing…and may potentially bring me good luck!  I think I would use more coconut milk next time because I can barely tell it’s in there…but I LOVE coconut flavored things, so if you don’t then this would be just right.  :)

Over all this one has been my favorite so far, although I do feel like the Green Monster from Monday definitely FELT more healthy.  Not sure that it actually was, but the idea of drinking 2 cups of spinach sure makes things FEEL that way!

Pin It

9 comments:

Angela Power said...

You can buy smaller tubs of the Ultimate Protein stuff that I buy at Planet Organic for about $20 (http://awakenyourbody.com/products/ultimate-protein/). It's supposed to be a super healthy kind and it's by Brad King who is going to be on News 95.7 with Andrew Crystal within an hour (http://www.news957.com/). I think if you want to listen to him. He occasionally does a radio segment on there and I started listening to him last year.

Becki said...

I got an email this morning that suggestd putting tofu into smoothies!
might be worth a try!

Amy said...

Hey there... look at the bulk barn for individual packages of protein!

Actually I think GNC tend to have individual ones too.

Jaime said...

Oh ya...tofu!!!

And thanks Amy! Duh...I can't believe I didn't think of that. ;)

Jen said...

That is DEFINITELY a smoothie for me!!!

Not only is pink my FAVORITE color but I LOVE strawberries, pineapple AND coconut!!! YUM!!!!

OldGoogleAccount said...

My morning smoothie: 1/2 portion vanilla whey isolate protein powder (about 12g of protein), 1/2 c ff soy milk, 1/2 c water, 1/2 c frozen blueberries, 1/2 frozen banana and 1 tsp flax oil. Delicious and creamy.

I have that cookbook! A friend of mine in Victoria sent it to me. Have you tried the New Age Sloppy Joes? They're awesome! My daughter and I bake the tofu according to instructions in that recipe, lightly salt it and eat it as finger food. So Yum!

Randi said...

A smoothie I love but haven't had in awhile (because I bought the giant tub of protein and feel like I need to use it up!):

cottage cheese
strawberries/other fruit
banana (optional)
splenda
water (to thin it out)

I don't measure so your guess is as good as mine. Tastes like a cheesecake!

eurydice said...

That looks good - why don't you try putting raw oats in your smoothie?

Vanessa (Last Night's Leftovers) said...

I don't have any suggestions, but I was just thinking today that it would be nice to make a smoothie with pineapple and coconut milk! I'll definitely be stealing this recipe :D